Truth behind the Scenes
There is a truth behind the scenes of the food production industry that as people we should all be ashamed of. That is the amount of artificial, unnatural chemicals we use to fill our bellies. My initial reasoning for getting into the science field was conservation. I wanted to extend the better enjoyment of nature to people down the road ( the future). Growing up as a kid, I spent lots of time camping, playing, hunting, fishing and almost living on a farm. I admired my grandparents and they're minimalism to cultivating the land and raising cattle. When I hunted and fished it was with the utmost respect. No macho " i want to kill everything " attitude. My love of my grandparents brought me to the conservation field. Their love of producing food brought me into studying this aspect of the industry since the early 80's. When I started to become more interested with nutrition as it pertained to cycling health it became amazing to me the claims the food industry say how artificial chemicals have improved our daily lives.
I could go on and on why I believe in the organic food industry so much but I'll let you research that if your so entailed do so. You might learn something. It's up to you.
Here's just a link that i came across while reading up on the subject that brought me to post this today. http://www.foodnews.org/
Now the link to the watchdog thats watching the watch dog. www.ewg.org
Just one last word. I'm not any better than anyone out there. I eat non organic food. Organic is expensive. Especially meat. I'm poor. I do occasionally buy organic just to support in a small way.
I could go on and on why I believe in the organic food industry so much but I'll let you research that if your so entailed do so. You might learn something. It's up to you.
Here's just a link that i came across while reading up on the subject that brought me to post this today. http://www.foodnews.org/
Now the link to the watchdog thats watching the watch dog. www.ewg.org
Just one last word. I'm not any better than anyone out there. I eat non organic food. Organic is expensive. Especially meat. I'm poor. I do occasionally buy organic just to support in a small way.

5 Comments:
It'll probably make you mad, but I'd suggest reading 'Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World.'
It talks about how people were simpler in the 1950s and then canola oil came on the scene. That oil made foods cheaper, more preserved and more faster. It talks about how the food industry moved fast food places near schools replacing most of California cafeterias. It even talks about the strategy the fast food peeps used to explode in popularity.
It's all about money to some people. Health is just a casualty of the process.
I've heard excerpts from that book. Even how high fructose corn syrup, a cheap alternative sweetner that is subsidized by the government, is in about every food we eat.
Also a good read is " Poisoned earth poisoned sky " c 1964.
"The Omnivore's Dilemma" is a good read.
While your at it, you might as well check out Michael Pollan's other book;
"The Botany of Desire"
The enactment of putting the labeling of ingredients on the packaging of food is a wonderful addition in our industrialized food project. The needed information is there in a ready-readable format.
Obviously, it is up to ourselves (us lucky consumers) to become enlightened on what we put into our bodies and how it affects the way we want to sculpt out our world.
Organic is up-front expensive, but non-organic is inexpensive to whose expense?
It's a troubling question.
Change is slow. Especially when dealing with economics. We do have some great scientific minds that are or have done alot for a less artificial world. I have hope that someday it will be.
Never ever give up. Not perfect but a minimalist. Lessen your impact. Give back.
WORD
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home